The 2021-2022 Catholic Central Academic Team continued adding to the longstanding tradition of excellence and domination on both the state and national level. The team finished with an overall record of 182-25 and won 12 separate tournament championships.
The varsity A team retuned all four players from the previous season and set lofty goals to start the year. For the 11th straight year, the team won an NAQT State Championship setting the standard in the State of Michigan Quiz Bowl. The A team’s performance at the State Championship Tournament also set a national record for the highest scoring average in the history of NAQT, spanning over twenty years. The team finished the regular season ranked #6 in the country.
The season concluded with the two national championship tournaments. On May 27th-29th in Atlanta, GA, the varsity A team, won several games in a row on the very last tossup, including against #1 team in the country, Arcadia (CA). With only one loss, the team made it to the High School National Championship Tournament Finals needing to win two games against perennial powerhouse and #4 ranked Hunter College High School (NY). Led by senior co-captains Drew Laroo and Liam Cross, senior Michael Yousif and junior Will Carstens, with scores of 470-275 and 380-295, the A team overcame the disadvantage to clinch the program’s 3rd HSNCT Championship and 5th National Championship overall.
Two weeks later, competing at the PACE National Scholastic Championship, the team secured a #13 overall finish to complete one of the best seasons in the history of the program. The varsity B team finished with two top-60 placements at both nationals.
The Academic Teams are led by co-head coaches Benjamin Herman (’98) and Christopher Gismondi (’00) and assistant coach Anthony Cornish.
Seniors: Matthew Abraham, Liam Cross, Joel Jaskolski, Andrew Laroo, Jude Laskey, Nico Pascual, Michael Yousif
Juniors: Dominic Aiello, Will Carstens, Anthony Chalhoub, Andrew Kil
Sophomores: Dominic Apap, Lucas Jraiche, Oliver Kammeraad, Danny Moore, Andrew Zoltowski
Freshmen: Christian Bakkal, Jacob Barta, Connor Burke, Patrick Burke, Drew Cholak, Dylan Cregar, Jared Dufield, Christopher Goolsby, Yechiel Gutierrez-Diaz, Nick Murray, Patrick Phillips, Davis Starzacher, Ben Towne, Ben Yancey
Head Coaches: Ben Herman and Christopher Gismondi Assistant Coach: Anthony Cornish
2021-2022 Schedule and Results
- September 18th- The Scottie Invitational (Glasgow, KY) (Scottie Set) (2 teams) RESULTS
- September 25th- The University of Kentucky Fall Invitational (Lexington, KY) (DAFT Set) (2 teams) RESULTS
- October 2nd- Cavalier Classic (Charlottesville, V) (IS-204) (2 teams) RESULTS
- October 16th- Beavercreek Invitational (Dayton, OH) (CALISTO) (3 Teams) RESULTS
- October 30th- DCC Novice Tournament (Novi, MI) (SCOP Novice 11) (5 JV Teams-All Staffers) RESULTS
- November 7th- Tippecanoe Academic Challenge (Tipp City, OH) (IS-207A) (4 Varsity) RESULTS
- November 20th- The Anita Zuber Memorial Tournament (Hicksville, OH) (IS-206) (4 Varsity / 2 JV Teams) RESULTS
- December 4th- Quaker Fall Open (Philadelphia, PA) (RAFT III) (1 Varsity Team) RESULTS
- December 11th- Middle School Kickoff Tournament (Novi, MI) (All Staffers)
- December 27th- DCC Alumni Tournament
- January 15th- ARCADIA at Ohio State University (ARCADIA) (Online) (1 Varsity Team) RESULTS
- January 16th- HARI Online (HARI) (Online) (2 Varsity Teams) RESULTS
- January 29th- TQBA Winter Rodeo (Online) (IS-208) (3 Varsity-3 JV Teams) RESULTS
- February 12th- Delta Burke (Delta Burke)(Online) (4 Teams) RESULTS
- February 26th- Capital City Quiz Bowl Clash (Grand Ledge, MI) (IS-211-A) (4 JV Teams) RESULTS
- March 19th- Prison Bowl (New York City, NY) (Prison Bowl) (2 Varsity Teams) RESULTS
- March 26th- MiNEWT (Online) (NEWT) (4 Varsity Teams) RESULTS
- April 9th- Michigan State Championship Tournament (Online) (IS-210) (1 Team) STATE CHAMPS!
- April 23rd- East Brunswick Bears Pre-Nationals Tournament (East Brunswick, NJ) (DII-SCT) (1 Varsity Team) RESULTS
- April 30th- Carmel, IN (2 Varsity Teams) RESULTS
- May 14th- Texas Invitational (Online) (SSNCT) (4 Varsity Teams) RESULTS
- May 27th- High School National Championship Tournament (Atlanta, GA) (HSNCT) NATIONAL CHAMPS!!
- June 11th- National Scholastic Championship Tournament (Chicago Illinois) (PACE 2022) RESULTS
A Team (Drew Laroo (co-captain), Liam Cross (co-captain), Michael Yousif, Will Carstens, Nico Pascual, Jude Laskey, Patrick Szendro)
- Record: 182-25
- In-State Record: 30-3
- Tournament Wins: 12
- NAQT State Champions
- HSNCT National Champions
- 13th PACE NSC
B Team (Joel Jaskolski, Jude Laskey, Matt Abraham, Patrick Szendro, Lucas Jraiche, Nick Murray, Francis Toma, Anthony Chalhoub)
- Record: 76-76
- In-State Record: 16-12
- 60th at HSNCT
- 57th at NSC
C Team (Dominic Aiello, Lucas Jraiche, Nick Murray, Jacob Barta, Anthony Chalhoub, Oliver Kammeraad)
- Record: 45-50
- Record: 29-37